Friday, June 22, 2012

Second Week



So now I am almost finished with my second week here at Amani. I cannot believe how quickly I have fallen into a comfortable routine with the children and life here in Jinja. This has officially turned into my African home. I am starting to build closer relationships with the mamas. Yesterday for example, I was trying to make soup over the stove, which should be a very easy task, but in Africa this is not the case. The stove top at Amani has to be lit manually by a match. I am such a wuss when it comes to matches and fire. I had the mama laughing hysterically as I attempted to light the stove without getting burnt. The whole ordeal was very comical. In the end, the mama took the match from me and did it herself. I think she has made it her mission to teach me how to use African appliances properly. I love the fact that everything here in Africa is either an adventure or something just to laugh over.
We (volunteers) have become such a close family. I feel like I have known these girls my entire life. There isn’t a shadow of a doubt in my mind that God placed us together right in this moment for a reason. We all go to a bible study at Helene’s house( who works at Amani) every week. This week we shared our stories and have bonded even deeper. After we finished talking about discernment and making Godly decisions in our life, we really felt led to just have some worship time. After about 30 min. of just singing and worshipping to praise music in the middle of Helene’s living room, I don’t think there was a single dry eye. I feel so privileged to know these Godly, young women. We have laughed, shared and cried with each other.
At Amani this week, there have been a bunch of teams that have gone through and helped out. I am not going to lie, we have felt very territorial of our kids and it was hard sharing them with others :) I have to literally remind myself that its not about me and the only thing that matters is these kids are getting loved on. On Wednesday we tagged along with one of the teams and took some of the kids on a boat ride alone the source of the Nile. Try picturing 20 adults with a kid on each lap fitting into one little boat. Halfway through the trip we were scooping out water from the bottom of the boat. As a goodbye to all the teams, we had a huge bonfire with all the teams, kids and mamas. The mamas sang songs and danced by the fire! It was a captivating moment watching and hearing them laugh and sing in their language. I am slowing beginning to learn more lugandan words and phrases each day :) I can almost count to ten!* Thank you Amani preschool every morning :)

In this trip, I have learned to be self sufficient and totally dependent on God for everything. I have come to understand that God knows exactly what is going to happen in my life and by trusting in Him, I am just along to enjoy the ride. Let me tell you, this has been the ride of a lifetime!









 

John 14:18- I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you

1 comment:

  1. Hi brooke, it sounds like you are doing great. I liked your story about the matches. I can just imagine you jumping back when you would see a spark. LOL. You are doing such amazing work that means so much to little ones that don't have a lot. I am proud to say I know such an amazing young woman! Good luck with your continuing journey. See you in the fall!
    Lori Crawford

    ReplyDelete